Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Life in the Cold

Me, standing in front of the bus this morning, tugging on the hook on the bike rack that holds the bike in place: "@*%$!"

Bus driver gets out of bus, comes to help me. Tugs to no effect. "These get frozen sometimes. Sorry, you can't put your bike on, it'll fall off."

So, no big deal, I locked up my bike at the bus stop and I'll bus home, but I prefer to bike off work stress. 

On the bus, a young woman tells me her screen door was frozen shut this morning. We laugh that people in Arizona don't have to deal with this.

"My sister-in-law's from Texas," she tells me. "Once when she came up to visit, her windshield frosted over, and she didn't know what to do so she threw hot water on it! Luckily it didn't crack... but of course it didn't help."

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Story on npr a week or so ago. Refugees in Minnesota from tropical places, Burma, Laos, Somalia, being taught how to deal with ice and cold. The importance of socks and layering. And how nothing prepares someone for their first experience of sub zero temperatures.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/12/02/refugees-cold-climate-minnesota

Fresca said...

Interesting!
I talked to a woman from Saudi Arabia once who told me that the winter wasn't a problem for her because she was used to extreme weather.
But I bet she still had to learn all about socks and stuff!