Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mail Art

Last century, I used to love sending (and receiving) mail art–– heavily illustrated envelopes, postcards, and the occasional odd item–– or doing collaborative projects through the post (each recipient adding something to a piece and then mailing it back for another round). 

This century I've mostly put the same kind of energy into e-communication, like here.

But now I'm off Facebook, I'm starting to mail stuff again. Just regular little things. Handling tangible stuff is such a thrill; I could imagine working up to more adventurous mail again... 

I'm definitely inspired along those lines by 'Letters to Klaus': A Publisher Shares His Illustrated Correspondence--AMB sent me a link to some of the images.

Here's one by children's book illustrator Axel Scheffler that feels fitting for the coming season.
This evening Rosh Hashanah starts! A very bookish holiday---as I understand it from the outside, you get ten days to get yourself written up right in the Book of God.  
That could spark a cool art project...

3 comments:

Bookworm said...

I'm up for some transatlantic mail art!

Fresca said...

I have something in the works... :)

bink said...

Love it! Miss making, sending, and receiving art post cards. Not that I couldn't still do it... Remember the fun series we had in going in the past?