Monday, January 26, 2009

My Favorite First Line

Speaking of Tintin, Bianca Castafiore continues to make Worlde puzzles of First Lines of Novels, a couple of which I could solve, most of which I couldn't. I love literary games--the only kind I do.
I'm not going to make a Worlde of it, but here's my favorite first line from a novel (not my favorite novel, though I am very fond of bits of it):

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

Does anybody/everybody know which novel it is from?

Update: We have a winner! That was fast. The fabulous operatic signora herself has supplied the correct answer, but she kindly offered it in initials, so if anyone else cares to give it a go, feel free. There can be many winners!(But what shall be the prize?)

[David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens, 1850]

4 comments:

Bianca Castafiore? said...

Oh, oh, oh! {hand waving in air} I know, I know! It's... D.C. -- n'est-ce pas?

Only one brazen soul has attempted any of my latest Wordle Challenges. Why not have a go? There is one I doubt anyone will get, nor should they, and I question what the heck I was thinking... The others? Very doable.

Take care, be well --
La Bonne et Belle Bianca Castafiore

Fresca said...

Oui, oui!
As they say in France:
C'est la Bingo!

Anonymous said...

D.C. by C.D. isn't it? No, I'm not copying! I recognized C.D.'s "voice" right off and remembered that D.C. is one of the few of his books you were "fond of".

Fresca said...

DC by CD it is!
Yep, about the only one of CD's books I can stand to read. Psychology wins again.