Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Down by the River, II



At this point, signs and chain-link fencing barred me from walking any further along the river path. It was a little spooky, almost deserted, with no pedestrians and little traffic, just the hum of nearby industrial plants.
I cut over to a side road and went up into the top deck of a parking ramp, so I could get closer to the construction site, where workers started building a new bridge in mid-December.

I felt daring, like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters of the Third Kind snooping around a secret government installation.
Except this isn't secret: it's a public works project paid for by our taxes. But our government seems different, more secretive and suspicious, post-9/11.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of you with the bridges. You have a great photojournalist career ahead of you!

Fresca said...

Thanks, Bink! The mirrored sculpture was good luck. I will have to get braver so I can be a photojournalist and face down hostile truck drivers and the like.